Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mindbender, Garden Scene

Mindbender is a challenge held each month at Painting Friends online art group.  The challenge is to pick your own composition from a photo.  It can be any area, large or small.  Click here to view the photo.

This painting is watercolor on  5 1/4" x 6 1/2" gessoed watercolor paper.  The challenge for me in this painting was painting the grasses and leaves as well as leaving lights.  I have always had difficulty painting individual grass blades or at least painting the appearance of individual blades. 

8 comments:

Kaylyn said...

Hi Ann,

I'm liking your work a lot, especially your graphite drawings, nice hand, great draftsmanship!

Viviane Vieira said...

Beuatiful painting, the colors looks great!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Super colors and textures!

RHCarpenter said...

I like the section you chose to paint and think you did a good job on this, Ann. Do you ever use wc pencils for grasses? I saw Doris G. do this lately and it worked beautifully.

Nora Mackin said...

Very nicely done Ann, I like how you chose this portion from the whole photo. Wonderful colors also.

Teresa said...

I'm liking a lot the things you're making on gesso lately Ann, really interesting

Celeste Bergin said...

this is a very nice result!

Ann Buckner said...

Kaylyn, thank you so much for your kind comments.

Viviane, thank you. :)

Christiane, I'm pleased you like the colors and textures, thank you.

Rhonda, thank you - and thank you for the tip of using wc pencils for the grass. I will have to give that a try.

Nora, thank you. :)

Teresa, thank you - I'm enjoying the ability to move the watercolor around on the gessoed surface.

Celeste, thank you. :)