Monday, January 18, 2010

Watercolor & Gessoed Bristol Board, WIP

When you view the above photo of this painting, I bet you are asking yourself, what is this?  It is the upper right corner of an in progress painting on gessoed bristol board.  It is the first application of paint and I am thoroughly enjoying laying down the paint and studying it to see what happens.  See the brush strokes?  The paint can also be lifted or wiped away quite easily unless a staining color is used. 

Thanks to Rhonda of the Colorful Watercolor group for the tip that paint applied to gessoed paper or Yupo works best with less water. 

My palette for this painting is mostly granulating colors.  The only pale yellow (not earth tones) that I have that granulates is Daniel Smith's Nickel Titanate Yellow which is semi-transparent and non-staining.  Along with that yellow, my palette, at this point, includes French Ultramarine Blue, Indanthrone Blue (for darks), Ultramarine Violet, Undersea Green, Quinacridone Gold, Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Viridian. 

This one painting will be submitted to two online groups.  Painting Friends has a Friday Foto challenge and  I chose the photo for this week from the Wet Canvas RIL  This same photo is also ideal for learning textures and colors which we are studying at the Colorful Watercolor Yahoo group. 

3 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

There is something about texture like this that makes me want to dip my hands in and FEEL it :) Lovely, juicy, textural watercolor = perfection! And I pass the thanks you gave me on to my teacher, Sandy Maudlin, who taught me what my hard head would retain and use.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Very interesting post, Ann. Yet another painting surface for me to try:-) Thank you for the tip from two great teachers, Rhonda and Sandy!

Ann Buckner said...

I know what you mean about textures, Rhonda. :)

Pleased you enjoyed the post, Christiane. Aren't Rhonda and Sandy great. :)