Friday, January 15, 2010

TMC #24, Watercolor Tubes


Daniel Smith Watercolor Tubes
5" x 7"
Fabriano Aristico Paper

I thought I would pick something simple to paint today, wrong.  They look simple but anytime there is writing it takes me longer.  As you can see, I didn't get very far as there was only a couple of minutes left on the timer when I started.  My goal was to have the darks, dark enough on the first go around.  I used masking tape for the white label areas.  I hope to use the 20 minute challenge to learn to mix the value and try for one stroke and leave it.  It didn't happen this time as can be seen in the shadows,  but with more practice I will learn.  The hardest part is leaving the stroke alone.  In looking at these tubes, I think it is time to order more paint. 

2 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

You touched on what I want to gain from the TMCs = a better sense of what color/value to put down and then let it be without putzing around with it...and using more colors to indicate things without being tied to the "real" color of something, esp. in the shadows. It's funny, but painting the little TMCs feels different - a bit more pressure to get it right - than painting something else with a longer time limit. I like these little tubes and think you should do more of your art supplies...pretty soon, you'll have everything documented.

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, it dos feel different painting the TMC's. When I have time, I like to study the subject looking for colors, values, directional flow. Sometimes I even "air draw" the mass shape. :) Good luck with the values and putting a stroke down without fiddling with it.