Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Same Figure, Conte Pencil


I'm still trying to come to grips with drawing the figure using the same pose from Wet Canvas Figure Forum Workshop 4.  I'm trying to find which way works best for me in getting the measurements/proportions correct. This time I more or less used the head length to measure the width and length of the body segments, as well as just eyeballing it.  The thoughts running through my head . . . hmm that doesn't look quite right so if I lift that or fill in this. . .   You get the picture lol.  The hands are terrible in this sketch, especially the left one and the forearm doesn't have any volume to it.  Amazing what one sees once the photo is posted.  

4 comments:

Deb Léger said...

I like the position of the left forearm though, Ann. It looks more naturally placed now. Your eyeballing is getting really good!

Teresa said...

Agree about the forearm and hand but in general it's well proportioned and the volume feels real, I love the straight arm and the way you shaped the musculature

Micah said...

Burne Hogarth's book "Dynamic Hands" is a lot of fun! And his "Dynamic Anatomy ", too He was a tough cookie lol.
I'm liking this Ann, each time you do it, she looks more relaxed and a "whole"

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, thanks. I'm pleased the forearm looks more naturally placed.

Teresa, glad you like that right arm. I was trying to pay attention to the shadow shapes as that often indicates where joints meet or where the ribs are.

Hi Micah, thank for those kind words. I am tickled you think she is looking more relaxed and whole. I have Hogarth's books plus Bridgman's and Loomis. They are jewels and so helpful. I split my time between those and drawing tutorials online.com. I'm just not very regulated at what I study, jumping around from place to place. Think I need a curriculum set up lol.