Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lawrence Portrait Update

I wasn't really happy with the portrait so I posted it in the Wet Canvas Portrait Forum and Ken Tiessen gave an excellent critique and showed, by photos, where I was off with the drawing. So last night I worked on the portrait until 1 a.m. and it looks much, much more like Lawrence.

As can be seen in the comparison, I widened the width of his jaw and neck just a bit and narrowed the shape of his forehead. Also narrowed his eyes and raised the right eye just a little. I still need to raise his left nostril just a tad but overall I am pleased with the resemblance.

I know Lawrence will definitely recognize himself and think he will be pleased with his present.

6 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

Looks good, Ann, and it always helps to have extra eyes on a portrait - a silly millimeter off in places like an eyelid, a nostril, etc, and it looks off. Portraits are not for the faint of heart! But I bet he will LOVE this.

Nora Mackin said...

Boy I see the difference in the two and I really likes the eyes in the after one. I think this will be a great gift Ann.

Cindi said...

ann these are amazing.. and how nice to get the help... i keep thinking ill learn in ps how to place one on top of each other, so i can see the area of problems, but so far.. havent figured it out.??. great drawing and i bet hes going to be one happy camper ....

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, it really does help get a fresh view point. Ken was especially helpful.

Thanks Nora, glad you like the way the eyes were drawn. :)

Hey Cindi, hope you get a chance to learn the overlay in Photoshop. It does help to see where a drawing is off. When I get a chance maybe I'll do a short demo as it is pretty easy to do.

Liana Yarckin said...

i like them both, but, the after one does have the feeling of a more natural feeling whereas the before seems a little forced maybe.

Ann Buckner said...

Liana, thank you for visiting this blog and your very observant comments.