Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Foliage, Twenty Minute Challenge


 Foliage
5" x 6"
Watercolor

I have decided to join the Twenty Minute Challenge hosted by Katharine Cartwright.   I feel the 20 minutes devoted to this challenge is a good way to warm up.  Not only that, it will help me to learn to paint the essentials instead of focusing on details. 


Using a photo imaging program, I decreased the reds and increased the greens.  I think this more accurately reflects the watercolor.  

In this small warm-up, my concentration was on the colors I saw in the hillside as I looked out my East window.  I wanted to express the essence of what I was seeing.  The yellows are muted but light and lively.   I also omitted the houses as my focus was on nature and not man-made objects. Next time, I will put in some of the houses.

2 comments:

Deb Léger said...

Ohhhh, I love this! I'm going to work on some of these tonight. I know, I said that the other day but life got in the way again. Tonight, I"ve promised myself that it's a painting night. This is beautiful Ann. It's very impressive that you did all this in twenty minutes!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb. Hope you got to paint!