Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Chatter & Childhood Photo

I keep thinking I will paint this old photo. It is still on my "want to paint" list.

Early this morning I was watching a drama show about missing children. The show portrayed one child getting preferential attention because of race. It made me very sad to think that race plays a part when children are missing as to which case gets priority. Hopefully, it was just a show and not the true case in real life. Because of what I was feeling, I wrote the following - it may be idealistic but don't we need the hope of a better or more loving way of thinking about ourselves and others? I do feel a little bit awkward posting this as I don't often write or share so publicly my thoughts about race or life.

We all bleed red

we all cry
we all laugh
we work, we play
in different ways
we lose, we win
we all have different
backgrounds,
languages,
childhoods,
fears
freedoms
we all have beliefs
different perhaps
but still we believe
we have options,
make choices
some right, some wrong
we are different,
individualistic,
yet the same
we are the human race
we all bleed red

by Ann Buckner Krug 2009


11 comments:

Teresa said...

CUUUUTE!!!! you must paint this asap Ann.

Love your statement, so true, so ignored by so many people.

Teresa said...

CUUUUTE!!!! you must paint this asap Ann.

Love your statement, so true, so ignored by so many people.

Celeste Bergin said...

I know what you mean about feeling sad for everyone when you learn about discrepancies in how people are treated. Unfortunately...it is true. There is even a term for it. MWWS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome
I love the photo. You and your sis, I presume? :)

RHCarpenter said...

Great photo - you MUST paint it!! And your poem was wonderful and so true. We waste so much time and energy seeing the differences and don't look past that to everything that makes us the same.

Ann Buckner said...

Teresa, happy you got a kick out of the photo. Someday it will get painted.

Celeste, thanks for the link. I knew these things must happen all too often but do find it heartbreaking.

Rhonda, this could be a good photo to paint for the colorful group. It would certainly be challenging.

I love our uniqueness, our individuality while at the same time appreciate all those things we have in common that creates a shared bond.

Cindi said...

ann.. oh my wonderful photo.. its screaming to be painted.... and you should share your poems more often.. wonderful thoughts and so true.. love rhondas statement above!! so true!!
take care!!

Dean H. said...

Was a mirror used for that photo? I think it's great and you should definitely paint it, Ann!

I like what you wrote.

Micah said...

Oh my gosh...what a DEAR picture!

Ann Buckner said...

Cindi, once in awhile I do get on my high horse about something that appalls me. Just can't help it. :)

Dean, no mirror. That is a photo of me and my twin. :) Thanks for stopping by and your comments. :)

Micah, I'm pleased you enjoyed the photo. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought I knew those 2 little people. CUTE!!!
I love the poem so true, it really touched me, as you always do.

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Goldie, I knew it was you even though you are signed in as Anonymous. Thanks so much!