Thursday, September 03, 2009

Chatter & The Gilcrease Museum

I had to be in Tulsa by 8:00 a.m. this morning so that meant waking up at 4:30 a.m. The morning was spent doing test then a relaxing lunch with my twin. After lunch, we went to the Gilcrease Museum which houses American art. Below is just a sampling of what we viewed.

The Gilcrease has a lot of Western and Native American art. I was thrilled to view Charles Russell and Frederic Remington paintings; then to see some Hudson River School paintings by Bierstadt and Thomas Moran really made my day. I was especially in awe of Thomas Moran's watercolors, one of which is shown below. The biggest thrill though was seeing the Winslow Homer painting posted below. Believe me when I say these photos do not do any of the paintings justice.

Winslow Homer (1836-1910) American
WATCHING THE BRAKERS
oil on canvas, 1891
30" x 40"
Gilcrease Museum

Albert Bierstadt (1830-1902) Am., born Germany
SIERRA NEVADA MORNING
oil
Gilcrease Museum

Thomas Moran (1837-1926) Amer., born England
TOWER FALLS
watercolor on paper, 1872
11 1/4" x 7 3/4"
Gilcrease Museum

Thomas Moran (1837-1926) Amer., born England
SHOSHONE FALLS ON THE SNAKE RIVER
oil on canvas, 1900
71" x 132"
Gilcrease Museum

6 comments:

Nora Mackin said...

Thanks Ann for sharing these with us. I can imagine how beautiful seeing them in real life.

Nora

Teresa said...

I didn't expect less from Homer but wow and wow for Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran, I wish I could see these in real life. lucky you!

RHCarpenter said...

Great paintings and thanks for sharing - I bet it was wonderful to stand in front of them and see them close up. Hope the tests come back as good news!

Desiree said...

Such beautiful paintings thanks for sharing them with us. I just found your blog, can't wait to see more!

Ann Buckner said...

Nora,
Teresa,
Rhonda,
Desiree,

Thank you all for taking a peak at these paintings shown at The Gilcrease. Believe me when I say the Shoshone Falls painting by Moran is so much better than that photo.

Deb Léger said...

WOW! Gorgeous paintings! Just incredible! It must have been awesome feasting on them in real life. (Feasting with the eyes, that is. lol) Hope your test went okay, Ann!