Saturday, August 01, 2009

Blushing Whites with Neutral Complements

I belong to a small Yahoo watercolor group studying color, hosted by Rhonda Carpenter. The month of July was spent studying whites which held just a hint of color using complementary neutrals to set off the whites. I quickly painted these whites at 2:00 a.m. last night as I was behind in my studies of color with that group. The photo shows the use of the three primary colors, with each primary in a warm and cool color. Next, I mixed the opposite of the warm or cool color - warm primary/cool complementary color or a cool complementary gray/neutral was mixed. These studies were done so that we can become familiar with how to paint white objects but also the complements that will help them to glow or shine.

This morning I have spent reading blogs listed in my sidebar, as well as visiting getbodysmart.com which is a great site for studying the body's bone and muscle structures. Another blog I enjoyed reading was by Stapleton Kearns. Lots of lovely paintings and very useful information for artists, especially about design. Mr. Kearns also does critiques of paintings at the request of various artists which is most informative.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

kudos to you Ann with your color study and drawing the figure, nicely done!

Teresa said...

Yes! I was hoping to see a bigger version of your study Ann, I'm so glad you uploaded it to your blog, gotta love your approach to the complementaries, most of all the ones going from greyed green to the green itself, thanks for sharing it!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Dawn. I am enjoying the practice. :)

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Teresa, I'm pleased you wanted to see a larger version. Doing these swatches does help a lot in thinking of color, complements and neutrals.