Saturday, July 18, 2009

Figure Sketch

The paper is quite white but is showing gray in this photo. Mom was sitting in the recliner, visiting for a little while before beginning her quilt project, so I tried to do somewhat of a gesture sketch to show the position of her body in the chair. I had not sketched her arms when she decided it was time to get busy and left the room. And no, this does not look like Mom's face.

I have been doing a lot of reading from different books on drawing the figure and the head. I am somewhat stymied on setting up a grid for 1-point perspective for figures. I know that the farther away the lines are such as a railroad track the narrower the lines become until they converge at the vanishing point. Also, the horizontal boards appear farther apart up close but as they progress into the distance the space between the horizontal board narrow. So how to figure out how much they narrow on the ground plane. Did I mention that math is not and has never been my thing? In the photo from Loomis, pg. 48, one can see how the both the vertical and horizontal lines begin to narrow. Anyway, that is my challenge for today, figuring it out.

4 comments:

L.Holm said...

adore your sketch of your mom, Ann! (even if it doesn't look like her), Fantastic figure study.
most of the perspective books make it much harder to understand than it is, I think! Best explanations I read were from an old book on cartooning. (I used to revert to it even for teaching the college classes!).

Cindi said...

wow!!! if you can figure all that out, you are a genius!!! lol i will look in the book i have for class, that is fairly easy to understand and see if i get it.. but chances are slim!!! LOL

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Liz! I appreciate the comments on the sketch. I felt there must be a clearer explanation of the perspective grid. Need to figure it out though and will do it in steps.

Ha ha Cindi, no genius here just determination. Let me know if you find anything.

Deb Léger said...

I agree with Cindi! You are a genius if you can figure it out and you do! You put me to shame, Ann.