Friday, June 26, 2009

Schmid/Swatland Study - In progress

I started the study of Richard Schmid's "Fallen Pine" using the information provided by Katie Swatland at Swatland Studios. The link for "Fallen Pine" is from the Underpaintings blog. The photo was taken last night so it is rather dark but it shows the first two very thin layers. It is painted on 26" x 26" unstretched canvas which is going to be used as a window shade. Will see what the shade looks like hanging on a window when it is finished.

I used a two inch house painting brush and paper towels for the first layer then a #8 flat bristle which is the largest flat I own. I can see now I am going to have to invest in larger brush for larger canvases.

4 comments:

Cindi said...

whoa.. look at you go.. pulling up chair and taking notes...

Ann Buckner said...

Ha ha don't take too many notes as I'm not sure what I'm doing. Hope to learn a bit as I go. One of the hardest parts is trying to match colors used in the original, not to mention brush strokes. Think I should do a small study instead of the larger size I began with.

Deb Léger said...

What a great idea to paint this on a window shade! It's going to look beautiful with light coming through! The classes look really interesting. Are they only geared towards oils? I just left a comment for Sharon's painting (which is awesome) and I think I clicked the little box off too quick. I hope it goes through!

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, thanks for looking in and your comments. The classes are geared for oil but am sure they could be done in acrylic as well. Thanks too for your comment on Sharon's painting. It hasn't shown up but your comment here is appreciated.