Thursday, May 21, 2009

Birthday Portrait WIP Update

As can be seen so many areas to work and rework. Today's main goal is to correct the eyes. It has to do with shapes and values, so the eyes set in their sockets and appear rounded, along with making sure the eyes are level and shaped correctly. The nose is shaped about right as is the mouth, and will clarify the values and colors in those areas as well.

Since I've taken the pressure off of myself for perfection and to just enjoy the process, it doesn't bother me to make a wrong stroke or use a color that doesn't work. I know it can be scraped off and reapplied. Very liberating. Is there a possibility of the painting being overworked? Of course, but not at this stage. My main concern is muddy colors instead of the fresh color I want. I am learning a lot about myself and how timid I am with darks.

6 comments:

cindi said...

looking good there kiddo.. glad you are relaxing and having fun with it!!!

Lost in wonder said...

you're already at this stage? wow you've been working fast! I can see you already reworking some of the areas, doesn't the chance to remove and rework an area give you a lot of freedom and ease of mind? BTW I'm loving the hair already

Ann Buckner said...

Cindi, finally I am able to relax and enjoy the process and not get so tense when I place a wrong stroke. Such a relief lol.

Teresa, the base was pretty much there so I had something to work with. I am not intending to show the painting again until it is completed. I only work on it for short periods of time so it oculd be awhile. :)

L.Holm said...

Wonderful post, Ann. A good reminder to all of us to enjoy the process. Your colors don't look muddy on my monitor!

Celeste Bergin said...

Ann, what a challenge you took on..a double portrait (triple if you count the pooch)..and your twin no less! i yi yi. I am glad you are sharing the process with us.. I have a feeling that this portrait is going to succeed...but if it doesn't--luckily for us--there is more canvas more time and the education you got from the initial attempt. I'll be tuned in to see what happens next.

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Liz, I'm nearing what I think is the finish on this painting. Nothing like practice as teacher lol.

Hi Celeste, As you said, happily there is more canvas and more paint if this painting isn't a success. Hopefully, this will be completed within the next day or two, always dependent on life events lol.