Thursday, May 07, 2009

Bell, Book & Candle, Watercolor

The subject for a project, due to be posted tomorrow at Painting Friends, was bell, book and candle. I set this up on a table and took several photos of the setup from different angles, so this subject may show up in another painting. Below is a grayscale to get an indication of the values. My favorite part of the painting is the candle.

300lb. Arches watercolor paper
cropped to 7 1/2" x 8 1/2" image size.

Below you can see what was cropped from the top of the painting. The reason I cropped is because I felt the background was competing with the focal area and felt a close crop would do the subject more justice. I love the way watercolor mixes on the paper.

2 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

This is gorgeous, Ann! And like you, I love the way you've handled the candle - and the background (good call to crop off some of the top).

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Rhonda, thank you for your comments. Hope you have sunshine as it is cloudy here.