Saturday, May 09, 2009

Bell, Book & Candle Updated


This morning I worked on the Bell, Book & Candle painting. As can be seen in the side by side comparison, I darkened a lot of areas plus added the cast shadow from the candle and holder. I added a bit warmer yellow paint to the book, added more red and shadows to the bell, added more shadows to the brass candle holder as well as the table top and background. I darkened the cloth that is on the viewer's right behind the book.

Now the question is which way do I like the painting - cropped or uncropped???

5 comments:

Lost in wonder said...

Well, I must admit I didn't notice the lack of casted shadow on the book but noow that you've added it there's an important change, it's looking really good. About the background it looks beautiful with all those colors mixing there and I woldn't want to crop it since it gives more space to breathe too but as you said it does compete a lot with the subject itself, decissions decissions....

L.Holm said...

If you feel the background adds something, keep it. If not, crop. I like the more intimate, close-up view. Each object is so beautifully painted, it lets me enjoy them more.

Ann Buckner said...

Teresa,
Liz,

Thank you both for your comments and your insight as to how you view the painting. I appreciate you both!

RHCarpenter said...

I love that background but the painting shouldn't be about that - :( - don't you hate it when that happens? So I vote for cropping. I didn't notice the lack of a cast shadow, either, but the shadows aren't too strong so I didn't miss it at all! ha ha

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Rhonda. :)