Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Today's Sketch

There is a painting project at Painting Friends called "Seating" so I chose a photo of Abby, one of my nieces, sitting on Bucky, the quarter horse. I will eventually do a more accurate sketch for transfer to watercolor paper. On a side note, Abby loves horses and is now taking riding lessons.

I really do enjoy sketching because I am not looking so much for accurate shapes but more for feeling and essence of the subject. Of course, it helps when the sketches do resemble the subject *grinning*. I so admire those sketches that have such movement and energy, with a special quality that catches the eye. Those artists do it with a minimal of pencil strokes or marks and each stroke has a confident quality instead of the hesitant marks that show in my efforts.

Below are a few more sketches done this afternoon of different horses using a 2H graphite pencil.

4 comments:

Terry Miura said...

Hi Anne,

firstly, I just ACCIDENTALLY deleted the comment you left on my blog. I'm sorry! my finger just slipped on the touch pad!! Begging your forgiveness.


Secondly, love your blog:-) the watercolors especially are wonderful. You've got a great eye for subtleties!

happy painting~

terry

Ann Buckner said...

LOL, no problem as I simply said how much I love your work. Thanks for your kind comments about this blog. They are appreciated! :)

L.Holm said...

Hi, Ann - I particularly love the sketch of Abby on the horse. You captured all those essences of a good sketch you talk about. There's a wonderful lightness to this sketch, and such sweet expressions on both your niece and Bucky!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Liz!