Friday, April 24, 2009

Sketch, distorted shapes and angles


I took this photo just a few minutes ago so one can see the difference when the drawing is viewed from a different perspective. Interesting isn't it.
I used Photoshop to lighten the paper but what I wanted to focus on this post is the distortion caused by the way I had the drawing board. I haven't learned yet to compensate the angles when I have the drawing board laying on my lap instead of upright. When I look at the drawing as it is laying flat on the desk and I am sitting back in my chair, the angles look correct. When I raised the drawing to a vertical position, I can see how incorrect everything is. At least that is what I think happened. So I will sketch this little girl again to get the angles and shapes more accurate.

6 comments:

Cindi said...

you are a terrific teacher.. thanks for the visual!!

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you, Cindi. I am not a teacher but hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes lol.

Lost in wonder said...

really interesting Ann, it does look distorted, one would think that the distorsion caused by the angle would be somehow even but no, but from the right angle it does look terrific Ann :)

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for your comments, Teresa. I was amazed by the noticeable difference when viewed from different angles. :)

L.Holm said...

Hi, Ann - I do this very often, and now must put everything up on an easel to work on, or sit on a high stool and look down on my work (which takes a toll on the back after a while!).
As long as I'm perpendicular to the surface. The distortion's called anamorphic projection, and the renaissance artists pushed it to extremes to hide symbols in their work.

I think your sketch sequences are great, and truly what blogging is all about.

Ann Buckner said...

Great information you shared Liz. I appreciate it and your comments.