Friday, April 03, 2009

Iris Notans

I'm playing with Notan's today while waiting on the laundry to finish its cycles, using a Sharpie black marker and computer paper. These are just the first of several I plan to do. This is of an iris that we will be painting in the April Paint Along at Painting Friends. I took the reference photo we are using and wanted to learn more about not only the lights and darks but what would make an interesting design/composition. I will be playing with removing blades or changing direction and/or shapes. While doing these I am also trying to keep in mind the Principles and Elements of Composition, so as I mentioned, there will eventually be several little sketches. This is part of the fun of learning to paint.

For more in depth information on Notan's please visit Dianne Mize, Compose blog. The link will take you directly to the post on Notan's.

2 comments:

L.Holm said...

great fun to see your preliminary studies! Thanks for sharing them.

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Liz! :)