Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Depot, Watercolor Final Update

Like a sore tooth, I kept looking at the areas that were bothering me in this painting. So the height of the train car was shortened and color grayed; added the mountain that sits behind the depot even though it wasn't visible in the reference photo. The perspective of the building and the rails was also straightened a little plus the color in the building was deepened. The brick on the actual building has more of a brownish-grape color cast to it with not a lot of definition in the brickwork. I found that difficult to achieve in this painting.


7 comments:

L.Holm said...

Lovely, Ann. It's been fun seeing it come together. I love the mother and son walking in. There's a wonderful nostalgic feel to the final painting.

Atul Pande said...

Ann: This is a beautiful small-town scene. I KNOW I've been there!

Deb Léger said...

Ann, I really love your deeper colour on the building and all the changes you did. I agree that the boxcar looks better in a shorter size. You caught great sunlight on the light side of the people and clock, etc. Love your clouds and sky. I love everything! It's beautiful!

Deb Léger said...

Oops, forgot to mention - so will you use the paper attached to the board method again?

Ann Buckner said...

Liz, thank you! :)

Atul, so pleased you stopped by. You are right, it does give one the feeling of having seen this place before. It could be any small town, USA. :)

Hi Deb, so pleased you enjoyed the painting. You know me and I am now wondering if I should extend the mountain just a tad past the roof line for better balance? Something to ponder ha ha. And yes, I would definitely use the paper on board again. I haven't matted this yet to see how well it will work when framed. Maybe the key is to have the board the same size as the mat so the mat lays against the board easily. Otherwise, one has to use spacers to hold the weight of the board and keep it balanced. Things to think about and plan before painting on paper mounted to board. :)

RHCarpenter said...

Well done! I enjoyed seeing this one come together, step by step. You made some good decisions that made a better painting in the end :)

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Rhonda. :) A lot of the choices such as dimenishing the train size was from critiques at Painting Friends.