Monday, March 02, 2009

Struggling

Today has been one of those days when I've struggled with the portrait painting. I have scraped and sanded Sharon's face again and reshaped it. Now I will let it dry overnight and begin again tomorrow.

On another note, I just finished visiting the blog, Dianne Mize: Bagatelles and Meanderings. In her post today one of the things she said struck a deep chord with me which was ". . . I argued with myself that I really needed to post something on the blog, but then I argued back that I'm not painting for the blog, but for my artistic discovery and growth."

I asked Dianne's permission to use this quote as it expressed so well the pressure I sometimes feel to post to the blog. Blogging is a wonderful way to share bits and pieces of what goes into a painting. We get to share our struggles, the excitement when an Ah Ha moment happens, the paintings either at various stages and/or their completion. Hopefully sharing this information has a second important aspect which is to contribute in some small measure to another person's growth too.

I so appreciate the artists such as Dianne who so willingly share their knowledge but most especially the way they share their art.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Ann, I'm sorry you're struggling today. Must be something in the air. I am too.

Thank you for posting the comment by Diane. Very thought provoking. I am trying to post on the blog to push myself and I really don't care what folks think, it is a way for me to grow and not be afraid to put it out there, even the mistakes, so that I can learn.

Thank you for being you.

TipArt said...

That is very thoughtfull. I say to myself every day that I will start painting, no matter the end result. Some of these days, I will take the brush in my hand and really paint, I promise. Good luck with your painting :)

Ann Buckner said...

Judy, there are so many good things about having a blog, aren't there. It pushes us to paint when we ordinarily might say, "I will tomorrow." What I really like though is the record of not only what I paint but some of my thought processes before and during the painting. So good for you, painting for yourself, learning what works and does not work for you.

TipArt, thank you for sharing your thoughts about this post. I do hope that you decide to pick up the brush as each day we delay it appears to make it that much harder to start. At least that is the way it works with me. :) As I get older, I hear this litany in my head, "if I don't paint today that is one day less that I won't have a chance to paint." So good luck and let us know when you get back to painting. I would like to see.