Monday, March 16, 2009

PF Portrait, Experimenting





Well the experiment was a learning experience. I won't call it a failure but a step toward doing a better job on the next one. As you can see in the first photo, his face is fuller and there is too much space between the left eye and the edge of the face. Proportions off again. I totally messed up his right ear when the dark mixture ran over it, plus look at that hard line on the edge of the face and needed to shape the left shoulder more.



In the final painting you can see how I narrowed the face. Another learning experience with this one and one which I had experienced in the past, is controlling the darks, the staining colors which was, Pthalo Blue mainly. With the Pthalo, I used Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Magenta with touches of New Gamboge or Lemon Yellow to green. All in all, interesting, challenging and one to do over.

4 comments:

Lost in wonder said...

you did a great job in this one Ann, I'm so happy that you didn't get discouraged at in the process and kept at it, you got such a good result, I have no idea if he looks like the real guy or not but he does look good, btw I love the way those first splashes of yellow and orange fits in his face.

Peggi Habets said...

There are some very nice areas in your portriat. I especially like the lost edges of his hair and the soft shadow areas. It's hard to paint from a photo that used flash photography so I would say you did a great job with a difficult subject.

Deb Léger said...

THis is nice Ann. I like the watercoloury look to it! And you're right that it's definitely NOT a failure. Every painting we do is a learning experience and one more step down that road of learning. You did good!!!

Ann Buckner said...

Teresa, thank you. Painting this, as every painting is, is mostly for my own education, learning, relearning, practicing. I like the way the first strokes of color fit in to the face too. :)

Peggi, thank you for visiting the blog and your comments. It is harder to do a painting from a flash photo. I am hoping I can learn to compensate for the flash and paint a more natural looking person.

Deb, bless you. You always think of the best thing to say for making me feel better about something that didn't work as well as I had hoped.