Sunday, February 15, 2009

Watercolor Figure, February 2HC

One of the paint groups I belong to has a monthly paint along. The object is to work two hours, stop and post the work, no matter the stage. This is where I stopped at two hours. The reference photo used for this painting is from Morgue File. I'm not sure how complete this painting will be but I do like the light on the skirt with its indication of folds or gathered areas.


Forgot to mention the size. It is 7 1/2" x 11" painted to the edge. So far the colors used are DS Hansa Yellow Light, New Gamboge, Holbein Perm. Alizarin Crimson, DS Fr. Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Quin. Burnt Orange and Ultramarine Violet.

I think this is the finished piece. I may work on the left and right arm a bit but won't repost if any changes are made.

5 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

What a lovely start to this one, Ann. I'd love to see you leave the bg behind her pale like that and then punch up her dress and skin and leave it. Will be watching to see what you do next.

Deb Léger said...

Beautiful Ann! Can't wait to see it finished. Her hair is beautiful.

Sandy Maudlin said...

YES! Great movement and a sense of anticipation in the painting, The mysterious white to the right is intriguing, too. Wonderful piece.

Iin said...

Love it!I want to learn using watercolors too, but after a few tries I was discouraged, but after I've seen so many blogger-artist's watercolors, I want to try it again. Any ideas or hints how to start and not discouraged? because watercolors is the most difficult medium, is not it?

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, Deb, and Sandy - thank you all for you welcome comments. You are great for all the encouragement, helpful comments and moral support. Thanks!

Hi Lin, it is easy to become discouraged no matter what medium one uses. If you want to e-mail me, I will be happy to share anything I know and if I don't have an answer I'm sure it can be found. Some suggestions would be to use good watercolor paper and it does make a difference in how the paint works. Practice washes, gradations, doing color swatches to see how the paints act and react when placed in or next to other colors. Perhaps visit your local library for some books and/or videos on watercolor. The main thing though is learn what the paint does when it is applied on wet paper or dry paper. That will help you learn to control it instead of it controlling you. :)

Good luck with it.