Sunday, February 08, 2009

Complementary Color - Eggs & Glass

The egg and glass is from a photo I took of a still life set up on a table. I think it is okay but I should have used a cool yellow in some areas rather than a warm yellow. The photo on the right that leans more toward reddish purple was taken under warm/cool fluorescent bulbs while the photo on the left was taken under natural daylight. What a difference lighting makes.

The color theory group I recently joined is studying complementary colors. We began by doing color charts, mine are shown below. My charts aren't neat but it does give me an idea as to the complementary colors and how to gray them.

4 comments:

Deb Léger said...

Hi Ann,

I love your painting of the egg and glass! Beautiful and soft! Both ways look great but I do prefer the cooler version of the natural daylight. Yes, lighting sure makes a huge difference in photographing them, doesn't it? Are you eyes going crooked from the complementary studies yet? Mine are! LOL!

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Deb. I've been rounding the glass a bit more and added just a hint of cool yellow.

RHCarpenter said...

I love that you set up your own still life with simple things and then made this lovely painting! I keep forgetting to test out the colors for the new lights I have vs sunlight/or sunny day but shadowed - no sun today, though, so that's my excuse!

Ann Buckner said...

Glad you enjoyed the painting Rhonda. When you remember to check a painting under different lighting let me know what you discovered, okay?