Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Head Studies after Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing Sketches

I'm back to doing more drawing/sketching studies. My goal for 2009 is to improve my drawing/sketching skills hence, improving my painting skills of the human form.

These sketches were done in conte, using sketches on pages 10 and 11 respectively, of Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing. They look nothing like Hogarth's sketches but that is the purpose, to teach me to draw/sketch in my own style while learning the shapes of the human head and/or figure.



This sketch to the right is of my granddaughter, Sadie, holding her puppy. The photo reference was taken by my daughter and was sketched on typewriter paper using a conte pencil. Notice the lines at the top of the head and across her chest? For the head I drew bascially a square or a slight rectangle first, then sketched the head. The diagnoal line across the chest was to show the directional tilt of her shoulders.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

WOW Ann, the drawing of Sadie is beautiful! Just beautiful!!!! Everything works!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb! It sort of looks like Sadie yet it doesn't. So more practice. :)