Saturday, December 20, 2008

Contour Drawing Practice

I think I have only tried contour drawing one or two times previously, so yesterday, using a .09 mechanical pencil, I tried it again. These were done very quickly and the results are hilarious. The first drawing was using a photo for reference; the rest are self-portraits while viewing me in a mirror. After looking at these, I thought they could possibly be used as a basis for an abstract.

Most were blind contour sketches where I didn't take my eyes off of the subject, not looking at the paper. Aren't they comical looking! Contour drawing is actually to be done very, very slowly, barely moving the pencil while looking at the small area being drawn. Concentrating solely on that area before moving on to the next area.


In the book by Kimon Nicolaides, "The Natural Way to Draw", his first exercises are on contour drawing and recommends 1/2 hour for one drawing. Obviously, I didn't take that time with yesterday's sketches but plan to today, if I can make myself draw that slow.

5 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

These are so much fun! Do draw as slowly as you possibly can, allowing your eye to carefully inspect the line you're drawing, searching for any changes, cuves, bumps, etc. that it can find so you can draw it. Go SLOW. It's a right brain thing. Your left brain wants you to hurry. SHHHHH, left brain.

RHCarpenter said...

This type of drawing lets us loose - we sooo want to be perfect and we cannot possibly be that way when drawing like this. It's fun, releases us a bit - and you can combine several and do an abstracted painting with them when done (like Sandy did with her pomegranates).

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Sandy and Rhonda for commenting. I chuckled when I read "SHHHHH, left brain." Maybe I need to try this upside down, except I just can't stand on my head, just kidding. I will try a photograph upside though to see what happens.

Linda Blondheim said...

Ann,
They look a lot better than most of my drawings.
Love,
Linda

Ann Buckner said...

lol Linda, I doubt that but thanks.