Monday, November 24, 2008

Trellis Roses, Watercolor

Trellis Roses
Watercolor
6 1/4" x 7 3/4" on 1/8 sheet
Fabriano Aristico Soft Press Paper

Painted from a photo I took of the roses that grow by the carport. I have to admit that I'm pretty happy with most of this painting simply because it shows the practice with shapes and values has helped. I may go back in and darken the interior of the larger top rose near the yellow stamens (I think that is what they would be called).


Posted also is a cropped version of the painting with the second rosebud removed. Which version do you prefer? My person preference is the cropped version.

2 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

Wonderful, and I love that rose on the lower right. On the cropped version, there's a triangle above the leaves and roses in the corner of the paper...maybe add a leaf to make the triangular background shape more interesting there??? You do have a great touch with watercolor. keep it up.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for the feedback Sandy! It helped a lot.