Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Strawberries Take 2 (revised version)

After comments at Paint Friends, to add some darker values under a couple of the berries and glaze some olive green color in the upper portion, I went even further. I added cobalt blue, magentas, greens and more reds and did some negative painting. The berries are not as well defined but I like the leaf areas better and the ground work. What do you think? Do you prefer the original version or the reworked version? Don't be shy about commenting. *smile*

4 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hi Ann,
What juicy. fresh looking brerries! What I really liked about the original one was the way my eye could move around and behind the berries, due to the lights and reds sprinkled about. The second one has a lot of medium value overall making it feel more enclosed. Either way, I'm thinking this would make a great pie.

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Sandy, Ha Ha, I love strawberry pie. Thank you so much for the feedback on this study. The painting is heading for the study pile that I keep, just to remember what I did or didn't do. Like you I think I prefer the airiness of the original but I do like the negative painting of the leaves in the 2nd version. I just don't care for the enclosed feeling. I can just hear the berries whispering "what happened to the sun light?" lol

Goldie said...

I love these strawberries and what do you mean this is headed for the study pile. I think it is great!

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Goldie. I think the photo is showing more vibrant than the actual painting. BTW, it is still on the scrap pile *smile*.