Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Perspective

Since I began the painting of the house I have been facing perspective issues with the painting. Not so much with the house and barn but with the addition of figures, the slide and swing set into the painting. First question was where do I put them? How tall would the children be in relation to their surroundings? I began by drawing the horizon line/eye level on the photo and then running the diagonal lines which can be seen in the following photograph. The painting photo that was posted in the last post now has light perspective lines, ghostly children and slide, with the swing set slightly now askew. It sounds technical and boring doesn't it? Well, in some ways it is both but in other ways I feel excited because some of what I have been reading since I did the perspective on the house photo above, is finally beginning to sink in a little.

A big, big thanks to the Drawing & Sketching Forum at Wet Canvas and their Classroom threads which has Beginning and Intermediate Perspective. The time and effort put into teaching these lessons is outstanding and the people involved deserve all the applause and gratitude one can give. That goes for the people utilizing the classes available because it is through their questions, showing their efforts, and having explanations given that helps us all to work through some of the same questions or problems. If the question isn't answered there, you will find among the threads posted other links to different sites that give demonstrations of perspective. Wonderful, wonderful.

Am I an expert now? By no means! I barely understand it. It is only through practice and more practice will perspective truly sink in to this brain of mine. Just think about what perspective means to an artist. The edge of buildings, a hilly road, roof tops with different angles/views, people (yes, even people are drawn using perspective, i.e., how tall, how wide, placement of facial features, waistline, pelvic area, etc.), and their relationship to their surroundings. Perspective is a "wow" factor when one can finally draw or paint an object without fearing it is incorrect in size or placement or in relationship to its surroundings. I haven't gotten there yet without all the planning beforehand which can be tedious and painstaking. The more practice though, the quicker and better at eyeballing a subject I will become. Believe me, learning this stuff doesn't come without lots and lots of frustration and wondering if I will ever get it. I'm math challenged if it isn't 2 + 2 and anything that even looks like what we use to call a "thought" problem, throws me into a panic attack and my mind simply blanks out. The answer I'm learning, has to do with having a start place. One has to know where to start and work out each step slowly. If it isn't correct, then I have to begin at the start place and go through each step until I find where my measurements went askew.

I've been reading about perspective at different websites since Saturday's class. Tim Tyler, my oils instructor, helped me and lucky me, I video taped part of his instruction so I can keep reviewing it.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

I'm glad it's sinking in Ann - sounds like you're really enjoying it. I've always thought, whenever you work at perspective, of how much you love it. Even though you curse it often. lol. It amazes me when you talk of not understanding it because I think you do more than most people I know.

Ann Buckner said...

I'm still working through the perspective of the children for this painting Deb. It is fairly easy to get the perspective when it is laid out in a photo but when one adds figures or other subject matter it becomes more difficult, at least for me lol. I'm not giving up though!