Friday, October 17, 2008

Old Baptist Mission

I was fairly happy with this painting until I noticed how the limb of the tree looks like a continuation of the front roof line. That isn't as noticeable in real life. I'm thinking that if I change the color temperature even more of either the roof line or the tree limb that would help separate the two even more. I also added a few additional limbs/twigs to help change the directional flow of that limb.
Also, thanks for the great comment Rhonda. I do enjoy the challenge of watercolor and even though one has to use control, letting the watercolor do its thing creates such a wonderful spontaneous look.
Another thing that I am becoming more aware of when photographing paintings is that as the sun moves across the sky the temperature of the light changes and affects how the painting looks. I always try to take the painting in a shaded area but depending on whether it is cloudy or blue sky as well as time of day, affects the outcome of the photo.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann, this looks great. If you hadn't pointed out that branch, I wouldn't have noticed it. I love the soft colours in the snow and those shadows are wonderful. All in all, a beautiful painting. I don't think you should change that branch at all.

Ann Buckner said...

I did correct the branch a little from the photo shown in the blog. There are other things I would change/correct but I'll leave this one as finished.