Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Old Baptist Mission, Watercolor Study

Today I practiced with watercolor on this 5 1/2" x 8" 300# Arches cold press paper. I sketched in the church than began painting in the darks. I had made the church to long so darkened the trees at the end of the church. For this study I used the following palette:

Cobalt Blue, Sepia, Quin. Burnt Orange, Ultramarine Violet, Undersea Green, Yellow Ochre, Sap Green, Viridian and Indian Red (an opaque wc.)

With this study I was trying to make each area, especially the four corners different and somewhat interesting. I was also looking at blocks of areas to see if they created interesting shapes and sizes.

5 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

I like the very loose look of this, especially in the trees!!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Rhonda! The church looks a little lost to me and the shadows on the church could be defined more. These little studies certainly bring to light what could be problem areas and possibilities for different directions than originally intended.

Dawn said...

nice job Ann!

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Dawn!

Deborah A. Léger said...

Ann, I love your study! It's so loose and fresh and the shadows on the wall of the building are awesome! Beautiful!