Monday, September 08, 2008

BC Lodge, A little more progress

A little bit of progress and hope to have an opportunity to paint more today. It is quite a challenge to paint those tiny areas without messing up the area next to it. This painting is teaching me a lot such as the best brush to use for task, i.e., narrow strokes, soft layer, more texture and also importance of direction of the stroke. The water looks quite turbulent right now which has to do with the direction of the brush strokes. I think it's pretty cool that something can be changed just by a brush stroke! The water is almost mirror like except where the plane has disturbed the water.
My palette for this in the alkyd oils has been raw umber, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, cad. yellow, indian yellow, permanent rose, cerulean blue, ultramarine blue and viridian. I took the photos outside and the photos had a glare on one side or the other so I had to crop and merge two photos.

3 comments:

Martin Ye said...

i know nothing of painting. but i am attracted to your work.
it has a quieting effect.

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Martin. I appreciate your looking at this blog and your comments on my work.

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann,

Wow, this is looking great! I especially love the trees on the viewer's right! It's great that you're learning so much from this one. I love reading your thoughts as you go because it teaches me things, too.

Am I missing where you put the size of this? And can I ask why you switched to aklyd oils?

I love the painting, but then since it's a Canadian scene, how could I not? LOL. But even if it wasn't Canadian, I'd love it!

Beautiful!