Friday, September 19, 2008

09-19-08 Class

Each student was at a different place with their painting. Some more finished than others. I was still working on the copper pot. Put in more background then Tim sat down and began placing large deliberate strokes in the back and foreground. We worked on these paintings for about an hour than I worked on the perspective exercise we did previously, adding more intense paint.

The other students paint for seven hours and I paint for three. So it will be interesting to see how far along they are with their plein air paintings. Tim was quite excited by my plein air tree and I am still mystified as to what he saw that caused the excitement. I didn't take a photo of the painting but did crop a close up from the photo Tim took of me with the painting. It is a terrible image but you will get the idea.

3 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Nice shot of you, Ann! You just have to shoot the painting of the tree - it looks great! I love the whites you left! Looks beautiful!

RHCarpenter said...

Well, it looks to me like you've left lots of white and have lots of lovely mingling of colors and the sundappled ground underneath works well and...are you sure you don't see what would make someone excited about this, Ann? ha ha You need to step back and see it like it's something someone else did - then you'd see it!
Great photo of you with the painting, too!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb and Rhonda for looking. There actually isn't any white of the canvas left, just a very pale covering of a grayish blue or green. The painting is still in the classroom so will try to get a photo on Friday. One thing I noticed is how much variation of color and value there is in the shadows outside vs. the almost solid look and lack of color in the shadows in a photo. Major difference.