Monday, August 04, 2008

Wellhouse Plein Air & Strawberry Study

Instead of cropping the image so much I left more of the foreground and area on the viewer's left. As can be seen, the canna's and birdhouse were added just to break up that space. Also, the trees were darkened in areas and the ground formed a bit more. When I came inside after painting these additions, the thermometer was reading 102F. So this plein air is finished. Should I do this building again I will be sure to darkened the side of the building more as it is actually the shadow side.


While the electrician is working in my room installing new outlets, I painted outside this morning. I'm very inexperienced at doing that and kept it simple. There is are a couple of tall canna growing beside the well house (where the water pump for the well is located) as well as a bird feeder, bird house and a large temperature gauge hanging on the side of the building. The painting is approximately 5" x 7" on Fabriano wc paper.

The strawberry was started last night and I didn't use a reference. I was just trying for shape and maybe a few of the little seeds. I wanted to see if I could could the shadows to read right in the recessed areas. It is a little less than a 3" square on Fabriano paper.

Time to shut down the power!




3 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Nice work Ann! I find outside plein air work soooo difficult to do. Love your well house - those trees are excellent. And the strawberry is nice, too. I think your shadows are great.

Deborah A. Léger said...

(oops, forgot to mention the temperature) Yikes, 102 degrees. I sure don't envy you.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb! Plein air is a challenge. I don't do it very well but I enjoy it a lot.