Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Self-Portrait, Watercolor

Ann, Self-Portrait
Watercolor
9 1/2" x 12 1/2"
Fabriano Aristico Cold Press Paper

I sat in front of a small mirror this morning and painting this. It was fun, challenging and a learning experience. I didn't sketch on the paper first. I laid down a very pale wash of Hansa Yellow Light, dried it and then sketched in the eyes only. The eyes aren't level and perhaps the mouth could be a bit wider on the right (viewer's left.) I guessed at painting my left eye because of course I was looking in the mirror but wanted the eyes to look off toward the right. Oh the blonde in the hair is mostly gray ha ha. and I have even more wrinkles than are showing here. It is hard to paint wrinkles, especially when one doesn't really want to *grin*. And yes, I really do have those deep circles under my eyes.

5 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

WAY TO GO!

RHCarpenter said...

Nicely done, Ann. I like that the hair has weight but isn't too heavy and the look in the eyes and the work around the eyes. Definitely a keeper!

Ann Buckner said...

Sandy and Rhonda, thank you both so much. I really appreciate your kudos but even more your continued encouragement!

Deborah A. Léger said...

you're good, Lady! Excellent, Ann!

Ann Buckner said...

Hey Deb, thanks! I miss your work (hint, hint!)