Friday, August 08, 2008

Petunias, Watercolor

Petunias
4 1/4" x 6 1/4"
Fabriano watercolor paper

I spent part of the day painting these petunias from a photo I took a few weeks ago. I have found it is really difficult to get red to photograph to the right shade. For this painting I used Holbein Scarlet Lake, Daniel Smith Rhodonite Genuine, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Permanent Red, Hansa Yellow Light, Nickel Titanate Yellow, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Maganese and Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Violet, Dioxazine Purple, and Quin. Burnt Orange.

Correction: paints are Daniel Smith watercolors. I use Golden acrylics.

5 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Gorgeous Ann! The reds look great. I always love your greens. Did you draw this out first? You did a great job on the petals, they look loose and floppy - just like petunias. ;-)

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Deb. No, didn't draw this first. I very lightly with very pale yellow watercolor blocked in the placement and shapes of the petunias, then began adding reds, darks/lifting lights.

Dianne Mize said...

Lovely!

Deborah A. Léger said...

I'm impressed that you didn't draw this out first!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Diane and Deb!