Monday, August 18, 2008

Landscape, Oils

11" x 14" oil on gessoed panel. This is the panel I used in class Saturday to practice using a palette knife. The yellow and orange in the sky is Old Holland Cad. Yellow Light (I think) and Holbein Mars Orange with thanks to Tim for putting a dab of the Old Holland on my palette. Then on the viewers left in the background is Alizarin Crimson, also from class. I scraped the excess paint from the palette and began a painting. Practicing brush strokes, trees shapes, and finally using a palette knife in some areas. This painting is from my imagination or perhaps an elusive memory from areas I have seen in my travels.

4 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

Oh, I don't know if it's the colors or the palette knife technique, but there is a very strong powerful essence to this painting, Ann. Gorgeous!!!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for the feedback, Rhonda! An artist can get tunnel vision when painting, so hearing from other people can help us see the painting in a whole different way.

Deborah A. Léger said...

Beautiful Ann!!! Such juicy colour! (Is that term allowed in oil colour? LOL!) When I used to do oils, which is a long, long, LONG time ago, I used to really love the Old Holland paints - 'smooth as butter' always came to mind every time I squeezed some out on the palette. I hope you take it to class on Saturday to show Tim. Just think - two more days and another class! Awesome! Rest up!

Ann Buckner said...

I'm pleased you like the colors in this one Deb. I used Old Holland for the first time in class. It does have a wonderful feel to it under the knife or brush and the color was so gorgeous. I'm getting materials ready now for tomorrow's class. Hope I don't forget the canvas, paint or palette.