Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Koi 3, In Progress

For this painting, I am working on Twinrocker watercolor paper and am getting use to the way the paint works on the paper. It is a heavier weight paper than the 140#Fabriano Aristico I've been using. Thus far, it appears to dry in spots and pretty rapidly.
In the painting so far I have used ultramarine blue, cobalt blue, pthalo blue, cerulean blue, manganese blue, phtalo green, permanent yellow lemon, new gamboge, raw sienna, quinacradone violet, scarlet lake (red), permanent red, and carmine.

4 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann,

So, would you buy Twinrocker again? Are you getting better results in the finished parts, or is there no difference between Twinrocker and Arches and Fabriano? That's too bad about the drying spots. Hopefully, it won't cause any problems for you.

I love, love, love that orange/white fish! The contrast between the two colours is beautiful.

Do you draw out the fish first, or just lift them while wet? I really love koi and am going to HAVE to try this!

Can't wait to see the next steps.....

RHCarpenter said...

That orange and white fish makes the painting - are you going to add more designs on the others? I only used the Twinrocker one time and didn't get a good painting out of it - my fault, I think, not the paper, but it is different.

Sandy Maudlin said...

What a wonderful painting. Exquisite!

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, yes I would buy Twinrocker again. The textures in the Twinrocker, Arches and Fabriano are all different. Twinrocker having more texture with Fabriano less, in the cold press paper. The fish are lifted out, not drawn.

Rhonda, yes more color and design will be added to the other fish but with a more diffused look. I'm playing so will see how they turn out.

Thanks Sandy! Rhonda! & Deb!