Saturday, July 05, 2008

Koi 2

I started this painting last night of another koi. The background is realy bright and the colors show more in the original than in the photo. I'm not sure I like this method of painting koi. I will have to try it again to see if I can get the koi to have cleaner colors and better shapes. I haven't put in scales in and will probably change the tail area. I love this Fabriano paper because it really takes abuse well without rolling or peeling. Painted on a half sheet of Fabriano using Winsor Newton, Daniel Smith, Holbein and Maimeri paints.




6 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

How did you paint this, Ann? Did you misket the koi first and do the bg? Or did you lift out the koi after you put in the other colors?

Ann Buckner said...

No misket, the whole sheet of paper was covered in paint, layered the same way the first one was, beginning with the blues, then yellows, then reds. Lifted out the shape of the fish with a thirsty brush, and colors added back in to the fish.

Deborah A. Léger said...

Beautiful Ann!!! Was it hard to keep the whole paper wet while doing this? I just love koi paintings so much! You did a great job!

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, thanks! The paper stayed saturated for quite awhile before it slowly began to dry. Plenty of time lift out the shape of the fish

Anita Davies said...

LOVE this! That streak of yellow running through that beautiful blue is simply yummy!

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you, Anita! :)