Saturday, July 19, 2008

Brown's Pasture, an update & a critique

This painting is still unfinished even though I woke up at 3:00 a.m. to work on it a bit. I was excited this morning as I put the wet painting in a studio frame to carry to a critique session put on by the Artists of Northwest Arkansas (ANA). We were honored to have Ralph Irwin of Ralph Irwin Studios, as the artist heading the critique session. Each member brought one finished and one unfinished painting and we spent the day listening and learning as Mr. Irwin reviewed each painting.

His critique of this painting was more contrasts (lights/darks), values changes as it moves from the background through the middle ground, into the foreground. And of course, finishing the livestock. This was my first "real life" critique and I found his comments on all the paintings most informative and helpful.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

lol, I should have read your blog before asking about the critique! What a great idea - having a critique day like that where everyone can bring a finished and unfinished painting!!! I'm glad you had fun, Ann. I'll go now and explore the link you gave on Ralph Irwin.

Ann Buckner said...

The ANA group set it up, having a list of members that would be at the critique. We each paid a fee for the critique to ANA, for Mr. Irwin's time. Well worth the fee. Mr. Irwin does a lot of big projects, such as designing gardens, murals, etc. He did a "healing garden" for Sparks Hospital in Ft. Smith that looks beautiful and restful.