Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Brown's Pasture, Repaint Update

This photo shows the current stage of the painting. The photo was taken outside this evening and has some glare and a blue cast, especially on the viewer's right. There really is purple, orange, and red along with the blues and greens. I will continue to work on the values and the shapes of the cows and the mid-ground planes, before adding a more distant cow or two and completing the tree behind the foreground cow.


One way I check the values is by converting the color photo to grayscale. The other way is by squinting my eyes until I see only the mass tones. As can be seen, the cow is very dark because the light is coming from behind.

5 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann, I like this painting! You really have changed the original. (I loved the light coming through the trees in that background of the first though.) Are you thinking the values of thw cow are not right? I like him - his value makes you pay attention. lol.

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, you have a good eye. As you can see by looking at both the painting and the grayscale that there are mid- and dark values, with some mid-light values, so lighter values are needed. The shape of the foreground cow's face needs to adjusted. What I'm questioning is the size of the cow? Isn't it amazing the number of questions a painter continually ask themselves as they make adjustments to a painting. It is very much like a dance isn't it, using paint and brush and listening to one's inner music.

Dianne Mize said...

Ann, I don't know how I've miss your blog, but I just this moment found it from Wet Canvas. You've got some rich paintings here. I'll be making regular visits.

RHCarpenter said...

Ann, there's not much to change in this and I love the look of the cow and the tree trunk behind her.

Ann Buckner said...

Diane, how great that you enjoyed this blog. I appreciate hearing it and hope you visit often.

Hi Rhonda, thanks for taking a peek at the pasture painting. As I was driving down the highway today I kept slowing down so I could look closer at the cows' heads, especially their mouths. Luckily there wasn't any traffic behind me ha ha.