Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Arm Chair Traveling

I love to receive comments on this blog. Not just because someone has taken the time to read and leave a comment (which I greatly appreciate) but also it gives me an opportunity to visit their blog. This morning I visited Making a Mark, a blog by artist, Katherine Tyrrell. I found lots to read and enjoy along with more places (blogs) to visit. She has a good read about Maggie Stiefvater and Duane Keiser. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Free play on 3" x 6" Fabriano wc paper. I just couldn't stand not painting another day so last night about 9:30 p.m., I cleared the watercolor table and wet some paints. I had not opened the new tubes of Rhodonite Genuine, Ultramarine Violet or the Nickel Titanate Yellow so those were the first marks on the paper. The Rhodonite is the lovely pale pink in the flowers and the Nickel Titanate Yellow can be seen more clearly in the upper left area (viewer's left.) I went a bit heavy with the blue beneath the middle flower and will lift that. The blue is a cool blue next to a cool pink and am thinking it would have been better to use a warmer blue or color next to the cool.

Making marks/brush strokes on saved scraps of watercolor paper is a good way to overcome artist block or fear of white paper. By just placing random strokes, not being concerned with what it is or isn't, or whether it is the right value or color, is very liberating and I think, creates a bridge from right to left brain.

4 comments:

Dianne Mize said...

Ann, this little piece is luscious.

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Diane! I'm pleased you enjoyed it. *smiling*

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

That's a beautiful floral.
We admire some of the same artists. I, too get a kick out of the comments and interaction amongst the artist bloggers.
You've got a good blog here, Ann.

Ann Buckner said...

Thank you Mary. I appreciate your visit!