Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Land and Water

Land and Water
Watercolor study
14" x 10" image size

I began this painting early this morning to study light effects on land and water. I wanted to create a visual distance from the mid-ground to the back land mass. The plan is to darken parts of the sky then to add some detail into the foreground. This is on the old watercolor paper (notice the rippling in the paper even though the paper wasn't soaked) and so far no small beads or rolls of paper but there hasn't been any scrubbing or lifting either.

I darkened the sky, foreground and added a bit of quinacridone burnt sienna to the midground land mass. Dribbled in some alcohol in the foreground to displace some of the paint to create a bit of pattern.

The Fabriano and Twinrocker paper arrived at the post office, brought home and has now been opened. I'm excited to try the Twinrocker paper which is hand made. I first heard of it in a video by Jim Kosvanec, who does gorgeous watercolors. Hopefully the paint and masking fluid will be delivered today!

5 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

I like this, Ann. There is a good sense of distance and soft blurring of the background. Good colors throughout, too. Not sure I'd put alcohol on watercolor paper (I'm unsure what it will do to it in the long run) but since it was old paper and you were just playing, go for it :) Let me know how you like the Twinrocker. I still have 4 sheets to play with.

Anonymous said...

I like the look of the water so far Ann, and the choice of colors for the ground vs. the sky and rain and water.

The paper you're using... is it cold pressed? hot pressed? don't know why but somehow the surface feels really smooth.

Be sure to share your thoughts on the Twinrocker paper, I've never seen it and would love to know the differences in a handmade paper.

BTW, you have more goodies on the way? lucky you!

Teresa

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for stopping by Rhonda. I'm not sure about the alcohol either but in time perhaps we will know what affect it has on the paper, if any. I thought the Twinrocker was in with the Fabriano paper but it wasn't. So waiting on that and the paints still. Have you painted on the Twinrocker? Let me know how you like it, okay?

Teresa, I'm pleased you liked the look of water as well as the palette colors. The paper is a cold press which has some texture. It feels and acts more like Canson rather than Arches. Once the Twinrocker actually arrives and I paint on it, I will let you know. I'm excited to try the paper.

Deborah A. Léger said...

OH, these are so good, Ann. I love the peacefulness of them both. The blue sky in the second one looks awesome.

(I'll be catching up later after work. And since I have the entire weekend off, I'll be painting, too.)

Your drawing of Rhonda is beautiful!!!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb, Hope you are painting!