Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tim and Carrie, 1st Sketch


Watersoluble graphite on 18" x 24" newsprint of Tim (my grandson) and Carrie. The reference photo I am using was taken Christmas, 2007, with them sitting on the stairs. So I moved them closer together using Photoshop.
Some areas (well, several areas) need reworking, like Tim's right eye is too dark and Carrie's neck is a little too long. Carrie's hair beneath her chin is actually hiding part of her neck.
Next, I will use a regular graphite pencil and use a grid to draw a working sketch for painting.
Tim and Carrie will exchange wedding vows in July.


2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

HI Ann,

Sorry for the delay in commenting! This is going to be a beautiful painting! One suggestion would be to put Tim's face in a bit of a different direction so that their faces aren't parallel. (But since I've never done any portraits, I could be wrong. lol) They are going to love the painting!

Deb

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Deb. Thanks for the feedback on the sketch. I played with the drawing and the photo in Photoshop this morning. I've taken your advice BTW and did change the angle and direction somewhat. :D