Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Skin tone study, Sadie 2nd study in progress


This is a smaller study of Sadie on an 1/8th sheet of 140# Fabriano cold press watercolor paper, using the same photo. I'm practicing skin tones and shadows still, working toward cleaner, softer shadows. In the first photo, pencil lines can be seen in parts of the face and the face has two layers on it as does the shadow part of the arm and hand. There is a line along the jaw line that needs to be taken out. You can see in the hair area I have lightly underpainted with raw sienna.
In the second photo, I used a mix of cobalt blue and burnt sienna in the hair, lashes and eyebrows and added another layer to the skin. I've noticed that in this study I have made Sadie look older than she actually was in the photo. I'm still not achieving that smooth skin tone look that I am after before I paint a larger painting. So more practice is needed.






4 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

This is looking good!! I'll be watching as you work on this one to see how you do. I know you're learning a lot from Sandy :)

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for taking a look Rhonda. Sandy is just great. I am hoping I can learn from Sandy. I'm a bit thick headed at times. :) As you know very well, Sandy is a truly fine instructor.

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann, I love that highlight area on the arm! I think you've done great on the arm. Why not try the face the same way? It's looking great though. Can't wait to see how you progress!

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb!