Friday, May 23, 2008

Sadie Rework

This week has been exceptionally busy with not a lot of time to devote to painting. So, I played with the last Sadie painting in between interruptions and reworked it using gesso and watercolors. The painting is now overworked and blotchy and still isn't correct in many areas but this has been a great practice piece as I studied features, light and shadows. I am hoping my next watercolor painting will show improvement because of all the "playing" done on this painting. A special thanks goes to Sandy Maudlin with a critique and tips that could improve not only this painting, but any painting. Sandy's main suggestion was to get the drawing correct before beginning the painting. Sound advice I plan to follow.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann, I look back to the first Sadie and compare it with this one and Wow! The arm and the pink top are wonderful! They look clear and transparent. The face is good too but when you say that you find the painting overworked and blotchy, could it be the use of gesso that is hindering the look you're wanting? (That was just a thought.) The hair looks much better now, much more wispy and I think your skin tones on the face and neck are really good. I like it! ARe you going to do another? You're making great leaps with each one!!

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Deb! There is no doubt that the reason for the overworked/blotchy look is the way I used the gesso. I would sometimes get impatient and not let it dry thoroughly, instead of using a hair dryer. And yes, there will be more Sadie paintings but right now I'm going to do some sketches of Hawk. Just set up a large sketch pad on the easel and have the photo I took of him on the monitor. I'm so glad you stopped by to see what has been happening on this blog. Not much activity this week but hopefully that will change once I get a routine going (like painting or drawing in the middle of the night when there aren't so many interruptions lol.