Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hawk Sketch

This is my first sketch of Hawk drawn from a photo I took at our class reunion earlier in May. Isn't he adorable and he was so shy. Hawk's body looks a bit displaced and I think I will have to place his mom in the painting to provide the basis for his leaning back, as you can see, into her arm. The sketch is on 18" x 24" newsprint using watersoluble graphite and white chalk. I removed the red cast caused by the lighting but did no other enhancements. I didn't apply water to the watersoluble graphite but may on the next one just to get use to working with it. For the painting I plan to do of Hawk (and Sadie), I will use a grid method to get accurate placement of his features.

This is a grid sketch of Hawk done this evening. It took a lot more time to do than just a freehand sketch. The next step is to take tracing paper and trace the grid sketch for transfer to the watercolor paper. Before transferring this sketch though I am going to do some value/composition thumbnails of a couple of ideas I have about this painting.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

What a sweetheart! (I love his name) This is going to be another beautiful painting, Ann. Can't wait to see how you progress.....

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb! I haven't begun the painting yet. I am hoping for some lengthy periods of time so I can concentrate. Hopefully, within the next few days.