Wednesday, April 02, 2008

School Sketch


A quick sketch of my old rock high school with students pouring out of the building after the last bell has run. The building was torn down some time ago so I only have a few photos and memories to go by. I have to be sure to get the correct perspective of the building and the figures or those boys will look like giants or is it that the girls will look dainty? I will be painting something similar to this for our 45th high school reunion booklet, if I get it finished in time.
Hooray, the ANA newsletter has been sent to the printer and wouldn't you know, I found a misspelled word!
For those artists in the Northwest Arkansas area, there is now Open Sessions on Friday at the Nadine Baum Studios from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon.

5 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Hi Ann,

I can't wait to see how you paint this!!! Love the drawing and see what you mean by the tall boys. lol. That's awesome that your painting will be in the reunion booklet. I hope they put it on display too!

Deb

M. said...

Hey Ann, love the drawing... just a question: do all painter draw sketches before painting?

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Deb, the painting may grace the cover but only if I think it turns out well. I've begun the painting process now and am having perspective issues with so many lines and angles. Love those challenges though lol.

Hi M, and thank you for looking at my blog and asking a question. I can't speak for other painters or artists but if one learns to sketch and draw then one can solve a lot of problem areas before even beginning the painting. Plus, sketching is really fun. The more sketching, the better we get at seeing our subject, its values, shapes, colors, lines. Hope that answers your question at least a little bit.

Ann

Deborah A. Léger said...

Ann, please don't scrap it before getting our opinions! lol. It scares me when you say, "if I think it turns out well". We know all too well how quickly you can toss something. (Just kidding, by the way. But seriously, don't scrap it without letting us know first.)

Hi M, even though you asked Ann, I'd love to jump in and agree with her! It's so much easier to solve those problems that will always crop up during the sketching rather than in the middle of a painting. While sketching and drawing does not come easy, it does come with a lot of practice, practice, practice. No one is born knowing how. At least, that's what I keep telling myself in dark moments.

Ann, hope you don't mind my jumping in like that.

Deb

Ann Buckner said...

I'm smiling Deb, at your comments. I promise, no scraping until you have seen it. Getting ready to begin painting on it. The building itself is rock set like brick. Very rough textured.

Don't mind your jumping in in the least. Always good to hear other views on this topic.