Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pears, Base Color

Yesterday, I laid in base colors using French Ultramarine Blue (warm color in the shadow at the base of the pear), Antwerp Blue (cool color), Perinone Orange (warm color), Sap Green (warm color), New Gamboge (warm color), and Lemon Yellow (cool color). I am so use to painting landscapes which usually has cool shadows that I forget that indoors the shadows are usually warm if the source light is cool. So when I add the warmth of French Ultramarine Blue over the Antwerp blue in the shadows, I may get muddy colors if mixed with another color like the Perinone Orange or, if I'm lucky it could become a beautiful gray.


The reference photo I'm using is by Deb Leger with her permission.

It has been a busy couple of weeks as we prepare us and the house for visitors on Mother's Day weekend which is also our local Strawberry Festival and school class reunions. I grab what time I can just to lay down paint and hope that the next week I will have more time to devote to painting.

No comments: