Saturday, April 05, 2008

Old High School WIP - The Uglies

I call this stage of a painting "The Uglies". It looks like it isn't going to work as nothing looks like it will mesh and is all gobbledogook. I'm taking heart though that once the lines of the brick work is in and the windows and steps are correctly placed that it will begin to look more like our old school. This is still the blocking in stage for me, putting textures in the rock bricks, blocking in the windows. I'm using cobalt blue, hookers green, raw sienna, quin. magenta, along with gesso to lighten and payne's gray to darken or gray a color.

In the image below, you can see the work done on the windows. I have to repaint parts of that area to correct and bring in line with they way they actually looked. It is slow going as I try to get the look of the windows. One large window has approximately 18 panes of glass so I want to give the look of that many panes even if I don't actually paint that many.

I stopped painting for a bit to plant a "Peace" rose bush sent to me by dear friends. My BIL (brother-in-law) kindly dug the hole for me. Hopefully the colder weather is behind us.

3 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Ohhhh, I like this, Ann! The brickwork looks great. I like the green bushes, too - they give great contrast to the warm brickwork. Wow, there sure ARE a lot of windows, aren't there? lol. It always amazes me how you master oils AND acrylics AND watercolours so well! I have such a hard time going to acrylics rather than watercolour. I'll bet this looks really impressive in real life, in that size.

Deb

Deborah A. Léger said...

ps - when are you going to change the title of your blog back to An ARTIST'S Journey??? lol

Ann Buckner said...

I'm still working on the building.:( Painting in a few individual bricks and some lines, along with some darks. Slow going.

I have also put the trees back in and hope to have an update later today.

The name of the blog is going to stay for awhile. I want to do some copies of Old Masters sometime soon and have in mind to do a portrait of my mom for her Mother's Day. I had better hurry, yes?

Thanks for posting Deb and cheering me on.