Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lost the Roses




The roses sort of went south as the more I tried to form them the worse they looked. I like a few areas in the leaves and a couple of small areas in the roses. This wasn't entirely a wasted effort because one thing I learned is to have definite shapes in mind. For this study, I used a round brush and did circular motions. The paper was dry so had some hard edges. It wasn't long though before the paper was soaking wet as I misted, brushed, blotted, misted some more and lifted some more. It was a mess but still there appeared a few areas that I considered magical.
Then in the wee hours of this a.m. (Sunday), I added some darks using Carmine, Pthalo Blue, Cobalt Green, Cad. Yellow Medium, Quin Violet and Ultramarine Blue. Still isn't great but enjoyed seeing all the paint work.

4 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

This has a ton of potential, Ann! With some darker bits of detail in the petal sections, to add depth. I love your leafy sections of background!

Ann Buckner said...

I added darks but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks for the encouragement!

Deborah A. Léger said...

Looks really nice, Ann! Love the darks! I can see this as a greeting card.....

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks Deb for you kindness. This will just stay as an exercise piece and hope the next one I do is better.