Thursday, March 13, 2008

Round File

It isn't often that I scrap paintings to the trash bin but I did this morning. Everything about the indian painting felt wrong except for a few areas. Usually I will set the painting aside to look at in a few days or months so this is an unusual occurence.

I am also going to change the name of my blog to A Painter's Journey, rather than An Artist's Journey. The reasons have to do with the way I interpret painting and art. There is a big difference between the two. One can paint and arrive at a very pleasing scene but to raise the painting to an artistic level requires adroit use of the brush, knowledge and skills honed through training. Even more in my humble opinion, the artist has to have imagination and flair, to envision and execute possibilities beyond the norm, to raise paintings above the usual level.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

Ann, Ann, Ann, Ann! You are much more than a painter. You are an awesome artist. I agree with what you say about the difference between a painter and an artist but I just cannot agree, nor even contemplate that fact that you are simply a painter. Your work demonstrates that. YOu shouldn't be so hard on yourself! I often wish I had your dedication. You're doing great things with your portraits, by the way, Artist Ann Buckner! Do we need to get the frying pan out??? lol.
Deb

Ann Buckner said...

Ouch, I felt the threat of that frying pan lol. Thanks Deb. I'm definitely dedicated to learning but as is often the case, I sometimes end up doing things the same old way.